Nike made another significant step in its global football presence. After being the official matchball supplier of the Barclays Premier League, La Liga BBVA and the Italian Serie A TIM, Nike will be suplying the Copa America with the Total90 Tracer Doma matchball.
The next Copa America to be held in Argentina this summer teams will be using the Nike Total90 Tracer Doma matchball. The presentation happened at the Ciudad de La Plata stadium. Nike officialy, the newly retired Ronaldo, coaches Mano Menezes and Alfio Basile, launched the matchball at la Ciudad de la Plata stadium.
According to the Nike, the official ball of the quadrennial South American championship features:
- Premium design with exceptional flight. Featuring perfect sphericity, this ball flies faster, farther and more accurately
- Micro-textured casing for improved ball control by equalizing airflow over the surface
- Special foam casing for enhanced shape retention
- Bold performance graphics to engage peripheral and central vision on the field
- Geometric panels to evenly distribute pressure for a consistent, accurate strike, no matter where the ball is hit
- Six-wing carbon latex air chamber at the bladder for explosive acceleration
It’s another football milestone for Nike after being the official sponsor of the Premier League, La Liga and the Serie A. On the other hand, adidas is the official match ball supplier of the FIFA and UEFA competitons (World Cup, Champions League, Europa Cup, the MLS etc….). The 3-stripes supplied the JO’bulani for World Cup 2010 final and has been the FIFA matchball supplier since 1970.
Nike is catching up though. By being the official matchball supplier of major european leagues (La Liga, The Premier League, Serie A), and also the Chinese Super League, and now the Copa America, the Swoosh stretches its football marketing farther. The sponsorship battle between the two giant is still on!