Manchester City put their footprint on the football world in a meaningful way. After falling into Nike teams portfolio, Manchester City launched their Home Kit in New York simultaneously with the announcement of being the 20th MLS franchise. A few days ago, the Citizen launched their away kit in Hong Kong.
With Nike as a partner, and owner’s deep pockets, the sky is the limit for Manchester City. The Away kit launch in Hong Kong is another milestone to add to their global impact.
Manchester City will play in a new Nike-designed away kit that honors the club’s history and founding fathers. The club unveiled the kit today in Hong Kong as part of its pre-season tour.
City was founded as St Mark’s in 1880 before becoming Gorton AFC in 1884, and then Ardwick AFC between 1887 and 1894. The new City away shirt has a subtle half-and-half design, a graphic element that reflects Ardwick AFC’s design in the 1890-91 season. The colors represent Gorton AFC, who played in black.
The away shirt features a grandfather collar, a long placket and a stand at the back. The Manchester City crest, Nike Swoosh and sponsor’s logo are all in gold to reflect the Club’s most recent successes.
The new away shorts are black, and the away socks are black with a dark charcoal band at the top. This new kit showcases Nike’s committment to aiding the performance of players with key technological benefits. [Source: Nike.com]
The most interesting element is how fast everything went. A couple of milestones since Nike partnered with the Citizens.
- May 2012, Nike announced their partnership with Manchester City.
- October 2012, Manchester City was ranked 13th on the Forbes most valuable clubs.
- October 2012, a strategic partnership was signed between Manchester City and Hugo Boss.
- December 2012, the club announced a drop in losses, but nothing alarming.
- February 2013, Manchester City is a global club, but also marks its territory.
- May 2013, home kit launch in New York City with the MLS 20th franchise announcement.
- July 2013, a multilingual website in launched.
- July 2013, Manchester City away kit is launched in Hong Kong.
There is more to come I am sure, but Manchester City’s positioning in the UK and globally is simply fascinating.
Nike’s competitors got the message and are acting accordingly. Nike’s main competitor adidas secured Chelsea as their Premier League global asset. A deal worth $510 million for the next 10 years, while Warrior and Under Armour keep on leveraging their marketing rights with respectively Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.